Prepare Your HVAC System for a Summer Storm
Life in the midwest is as unpredictable as it gets. One day it’ll be so hot it could melt your face; the next, you’re protecting your car from hail. Severe weather is nothing new to Grand Rapids homeowners, but do you know how to prepare one of your most expensive investments from storm damage?
HVAC Storm Preparation Checklist
Depending on the severity of the weather, many areas of your heating and cooling system may need protection. Follow these tips to ensure your unit makes it through hail and high water!
Before the Storm:
- Invest in surge protection. If the power goes out during the storm, it’ll bring a massive surge of electricity when it returns. Whole-home surge protection can help prevent damage to expensive electronics and appliances.
- Cover your condenser. You can buy a special cover for your external HVAC unit or just use a tarp. This step helps to protect your system from hail and debris.
- Disconnect window units. Window units are at a significantly higher risk of damage to the unit and your home — if you use window units as opposed to central air, remove the system and close windows before the storm hits.
- Cool your home as much as possible. Let the air conditioning run for as long as possible before a storm to ensure your home stays comfortable if you lose power.
- Optional: Turn off the power. You can still use your HVAC system during a storm, but be aware that doing so in really severe weather can result in damage to the unit. If you do choose to shut your HVAC system down, make sure to turn off your circuit breakers and thermostat to prevent your system from turning on in a storm.
After the storm, turn the power on and replace any window units you removed. Make sure to inspect the outdoor condenser for damages — contact professional HVAC repair technicians if you spot an issue that isn’t easily solved. (616)-453-1099
Why Choose Grapids
Discover The Difference
At Grapids Home Services, our contractors go above and beyond to provide service that exceeds your expectations! Our customers save more on their HVAC with our Service Partner Plan.