Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Water Heaters?
Homeowners insurance policies can vary considerably from policy to policy, and while water heater replacements and repairs are typically not covered, there are some instances in which they may be.
It’s important to review your specific insurance policy to know for sure, but here are some general guidelines about what may or may not be covered when a water heater fails:
Water Damage Will Likely Be Covered
If your water heater unexpectedly bursts or leaks, the water damage caused by the leak will usually be covered by homeowners insurance. However, repairs or replacement of the water heater itself will not be covered.
The primary exception is if your water heater was not serviced and maintained properly. If your insurance company determines that the water heater was in poor condition due to age or negligence, the entire claim, including the water damage, will likely be denied.
Water Heater Repair & Replacement Likely Won’t Be Covered
Water heater repair and replacement are usually not covered by homeowners insurance, even if the water damage from a leak is covered. The only exception is if the water heater was damaged due to a covered event like a fire or hurricane. Then, the water heater and any damage may be covered, depending on the policy.
Some insurance policies offer optional appliance coverage or extended warranties for an additional fee. In such cases, water heater repairs or replacement may be covered.
Water Heaters May Be Covered as Personal Property
In some rare cases, the water heater itself may be covered as personal property. This means that it can be replaced or repaired if a loss occurs due to a peril that’s covered by your insurance policy, such as:
- A fire in your home
- Hurricanes or tornadoes
- Lighting strikes
Check your policy for the details of the perils and personal items covered.
Factors That Can Cause a Claim to Be Denied
Even if your insurance policy covers your water heater, your insurance provider can deny the claim for the water heater failure and any damage that it caused for the following reasons:
- The water heater was not repaired or maintained properly: If your water heater was in poor condition due to a lack of care and maintenance, your entire claim could be denied.
- The water heater has exceeded the expected life span: Even if the water heater was working properly, a claim could be denied if the water heater was older than the typical service life of the model.
- There is excessive wear and tear: If there’s demonstrable wear and tear on the water heater beyond normal levels, the claim can be denied.
- The water heater has a manufacturing defect: A defect like a poor weld or a cracked pipe can cause an insurance claim to be denied, though it may be covered under the water heater’s warranty.
- The water heater was installed improperly: An insurance claim can also be denied due to a faulty water heater installation, though the installer’s workmanship warranty may cover the damage.
Protect Your Home With Proper Water Heater Maintenance
Although you can’t prevent all water heater failures, you can avoid most by routinely maintaining your water heater, repairing it quickly when you notice malfunction, and replacing it promptly when it becomes necessary.
At Grapids Home Services, we recommend servicing your water heater once a year to keep it in great condition. This will include tasks such as:
- Draining sediment from the tank
- Inspecting the anode rod
- Inspecting and cleaning the heating elements
With our skilled technicians, upfront pricing, financing options, and 100% satisfaction guarantee, we make repairing or replacing your water heater easy and convenient. As a family-owned company, we are proud of our work and happy to help with all your home comfort needs.
Call us today at (616)-453-1099 or contact us online to schedule water heater services anywhere in the Grand Rapids area or West Michigan.
Why Choose Grapids
Discover The Difference
At Grapids Home Services, our contractors go above and beyond to provide service that exceeds your expectations! Our customers save more on their HVAC with our Service Partner Plan.