Say Goodbye to Cold Showers: How Boilers Affects Hot Water
Homeowners constantly use hot water as part of their everyday activities, like dishes, laundry, and bathing. That’s why it’s more than just a minor inconvenience when you have to start your day with a cold shower. These frustrating situations can happen when your boiler isn’t operating properly. From lukewarm water to no heat at all, boiler issues can result from various circumstances.
How Do Boilers Work?
Not all boilers also heat your home’s water, but those that do are referred to as combination boilers or combi boilers. These systems heat both your home and water supply directly through the use of fuel, like oil or gas. This fuel allows for combustion to create heat. The system heats the cold water in your pipes using the primary heat exchanger and runs that hot water through your radiator to provide heat. The water is then recycled back to the boiler.
To heat water used for laundry and showers, your boiler will use a secondary plate heat exchanger, which begins to work when you turn on the hot water tap. This causes the boiler to open the diverter valve to allow heat to the pipes that are carrying clean water.
Common Boiler Issues That Affect Hot Water Supply
Though boilers are extremely durable, homeowners may deal with common issues that can impact hot water supply, including:
- Insufficient water pressure: When your boiler’s pressure drops too low, it will automatically shut down the system to prevent damage and require it to be re-pressurized.
- Sediment buildup: When sediment accumulates in the boiler, it can hinder heat transfer and reduce hot water availability.
- Faulty thermostats: If your thermostat malfunctions, it can result in inconsistent water temperatures and cold showers by prematurely turning your boiler off.
- Leaks: Leaks in your boiler will deplete its water supply and cause hot water shortages for chores like laundry and dishes.
Preventing Cold Showers: Tips for Maintaining Your Boiler
Don’t get stuck without the hot water you need. Instead, follow these simple tips to help maintain your boiler and reduce your risk of issues:
- Schedule routine boiler maintenance: Call a professional for annual boiler maintenance to help ensure efficiency and fix minor issues before they become major problems.
- Monitor water pressure: Always ensure that your system’s pressure is above 1 bar on the pressure gauge.
- Check for leaks: Look for water pooling around your boiler and call for repairs as soon as you suspect a leak.
- Upgrade to a new boiler if yours is over the life span: If your boiler is faulty and over 15 years old, it may be time for a boiler replacement.
- Request repairs ASAP when there’s an issue: Don’t delay, as unaddressed problems can create more damage and result in more costly boiler repairs.
Rely On Grapids Home Services for Boiler Repairs in Grand Rapids, MI
When you need service for your combination boiler, turn to Grapids Home Services for help. Our licensed and insured technicians have the skills and experience to accurately diagnose any boiler issues and provide you with long-lasting, reliable repairs. Plus, we offer same-day service for plumbing emergencies.
We offer specials and promotions to make our services more affordable. You’ll also receive upfront pricing before we start our work.
Why Choose Grapids Home Services?
Discover The Difference
At Grapids Home Services, our contractors go above and beyond to provide service that exceeds your expectations! Our customers save more on their HVAC with our Service Partner Plan.