Don’t Get Flooded: How a Sump Pump Can Save the Day!
Sump pumps are unsung heroes in preventing water damage to Grand Rapids homes.
These devices stop flooding by collecting water in a sump pit below your basement floor. When the water level reaches a certain point, the float switch activates the sump pump, pumping the water up a drain line and away from your home.
Installing a sump pump or ensuring that your current pump functions properly is a wise investment for every homeowner.
But how do you choose the right sump pump for your home and keep it maintained so that it’ll be ready in an emergency? Grapids Home Services has the answers.
Common Causes of Basement Flooding
Although severe weather conditions can lead to basement flooding, your Grand Rapids home can be at risk of flooding any time of year. The most common causes include:
- Heavy rain and snowmelt: Because of our flat land and proximity to Grand River, rain and snowmelt can quickly pool underneath and in the soil around your basement.
- Foundation and basement cracks: Water can seep into your basement through any opening, no matter how small, including those in your foundation.
- Burst pipes: Because your basement is the lowest point in your home, water from burst pipes will naturally pool there.
- Sewer backup: If left unrepaired, clogged drain and sewer pipes can cause backflow that will flood your basement.
Benefits of Installing a Sump Pump in Grand Rapids
By installing a sump pump, you can protect your home and belongings from potential disasters year-round. A sump pump can:
- Prevent water damage and mold growth
- Protect against electrical damage and fire
- Prevent damage that raises your insurance premium
- Increase property value
- Protect your home’s foundation
- Reduce the risk of insect and pest infestation
Types of Sump Pumps
There are three major types of sump pumps. Your plumber can recommend the right system type for your needs:
- Submersible sump pumps are submerged in water in the sump pit installed in your basement.
- Pedestal sump pumps sit above ground level over the pit and remove water as it reaches ground level.
- Combination sump pumps have a primary pump powered by electricity and a battery-powered pump that will kick on if your home loses power.
Factors To Consider When Choosing a Sump Pump
As you evaluate your sump pump options, we recommend paying close attention to the following factors:
- Capacity and horsepower: The gallons-per-minute metric on each sump pump’s product details will let you know how much water the pump can remove from the pit and how quickly it can do so.
- Battery backup and alarm systems: A battery backup allows the pump to work without power, and an alarm system notifies you if the pump switches off for any reason.
- Cost and warranty: Submersible sump pumps are more expensive to install than pedestal sump pumps but generally come with better warranties.
- Professional installation, repair, and maintenance: To get the most out of your equipment and have peace of mind, entrust sump pump services to a licensed plumber.
How To Keep Your Sump Pump From Breaking Down
Avoid a sump pump breakdown when you need your system most:
- Test your sump pump once a month by pouring a bucket of water into the sump pit and ensuring the pump turns on and removes the water.
- Clean your sump pump once per year by turning off the pump, removing any debris in the pit, and rinsing the pump thoroughly with a water hose.
- Schedule professional maintenance appointments annually to ensure there are no mechanical problems with the pump.
Trust Grapids Home Services for Top-Rated Sump Pump Services in Grand Rapids, MI
If you’re looking for a team of expert plumbers to provide professional sump pump services in Grand Rapids, contact Grapids Home Services.
We offer same-day sump pump repairs and free estimates for pump installations.
Our team would be happy to help you choose a sump pump that meets your home’s needs so you can rest easy knowing your basement is protected from flooding.
Why Choose Grapids Home Services?
Discover The Difference
At Grapids Home Services, our contractors go above and beyond to provide service that exceeds your expectations! Our customers save more on their HVAC with our Service Partner Plan.